Sunday, February 25, 2007

Putting Down Roots


*literally and metaphorically*

I've spent the last two weekends gardening at the new house. We have a long, waist-high wall that has dirt in the top of it, so I planted 60 pansies, in various shades of purple and white, along its length.



I spent yesterday morning planting caladiums, lily of the valley, hosta, impatients, and some speckly orchid things next to our kitchen door. I'm determined to have the most colorful shade garden possible. It doesn't look like much now, since most of the things I planted are bulbs or roots, bur I'm excited to see them grow. I did discover that there were about five bulbs already growing, hidden under a layer of dirt.

It is so nice to have a place to plant in, a place I know I will be longer than a year. S and I would really like to leave Dallas, but we've decided to wait two years to save money and work on our careers before moving. And I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad. The past two years of my life have been a roller coaster of big changes...I've moved three times, had a multitude of jobs, and all sorts of other crazy life things. It feels so good to wake up on a Saturday morning and put in perennials, knowing I'll be able to enjoy them next spring.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:43 AM, Blogger Bells said...

Really, there's nothing like a period of stability after lots of change. I've been there. Enjoy your garden!

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Newly Knitting said...

Have the flowers started to come up yet??

Your SP10

 

Post a Comment

<< Home